What do you use a blender pen for?

Discussion in 'Ink-Cetera' started by 1dolphin2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 1dolphin2

1dolphin2 New Member

I'm new to stamping and new to this site so don't shoot me for what might be a really obvious question. I keep seeing blender pens mentioned on different blogs but have no idea what one is and how you use it. Can you tell me?

2. lilyinkpad

lilyinkpad SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    It's like a clear marker, but cooler. You can use it to watercolor ink from an ink pad to your images or apply pastels to your images.

3. genesis

genesis SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    In addition to what Sara said - I like to use it to blend colors when using my Stampin' Up! markers on Watercolor Paper. It also works with the Watercolor Pencils - for blending the colors. And at 3 for $9.95 it is a great value.

When mine run dry I save them, then use them to apply small amounts of White (or other colors) Craft ink to a project.

4. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

Like they said, it's a double tipped pen full of colorless blending solution. You blend colors with it, then scribble on scratch paper til the solution runs clear to clean the color off the pen tip. It's great to use to blend the watercolor crayons as well. With an aquapainter you can get a more feathery true watercolor look, but with a blender pen you have more control over where the color goes. You can remove color with it also. Before we started getting In Color markers, folks made their own with reinkers and blender pens.

And no question is silly. Welcome to stamping and to the site, jump right in.

5. escape2stamp

escape2stamp SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Another idea for dry ones.
    Mix Crystal Effects with one drop of reinker and mix with a toothpick.
    Use the blender pen to dab onto your stamped image. (I recommend heat embossing your image; I used black embossing powder for mine. The raised lines of the image will help to "corral" the crystal effects as you dab it into place.)
    I'm sorry I don't have a sample so that you can see it. I did this as a WOW technique for a workshop, but apparently didn't take any pictures of the finished ones....
    But it ends up looking a lot like stained glass. The fine tip of the blender pen allows you to get the mixture onto the image more easily than a paint brush. But you will not be able to use that side of the blender pen for anything else after - that's why I recommend an old one :)

6. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    Very cool, Adriana! I've never tried that before. My blender pens are several years old and still going strong, so it may be a while before I get to try this. Unless I go get some cheapo brushes somewhere...