To Stazon or not to Stazon!

Discussion in 'Ink-Cetera' started by Tracey, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Tracey

Tracey New Member

Hi everyone! This is my first thread. I've been into Stampin Up for about a year now and LOVE love LOVE card making! (I'm not a demo just a stamper!)

I stumbled on this forum yesterday and joined today. I saw the magic card tutorial by Tami and want to make some so so badly, but am worried about the staining of Stazon!

What are your experiences with it?

Thanks!

2. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    First of all, welcome to SA, Tracey!!!

I'm not familiar with the tutorial you mention, but I can comment on regular non-opaque Stazon (e.g. black, etc.). The staining with Stazon will impact wood mount and clear mount stamps in different ways. I'll address wood mount first.

You need to decide if you can tolerate any staining at all - on the wood mount or the rubber. You can generally get Stazon off of rubber but not wood. If you clean the stamp promptly after stamping, you may be able to remove all the Stazon with just regular stampin mist. If the solvent evaporates and the rubber is stained, you can use Stazon cleaner. Some people will use nail polish to seal the wood in order to prevent Stazon from staining the wood. I don't bother with it. In general, as long as the rubber doesn't get really gunky, staining should not matter.

Clear mount: my comments about cleaning the rubber image are the same for clear mount as for wood mount. BUT you do not want to get Stazon on your clear mount blocks and not clean them properly and promptly with a gentle cleaner like Stampin Mist. If the Stazon gets on the clear mount BLOCK and dries on, it will render the block non-clear - kinda like marked up with a sharpie. It could be permanently stained. AND you do not want to use the Stazon cleaner on your clear blocks as it will craze the clear mount blocks.

Craze - fine cracks

Opaque stazon (e.g. white) is a totally different beast. The only way to get that stuff off your stamps is with Stazon cleaner and a lot of scrubbing. I would be very careful stamping with clear mount and opaque stazon and would be diligent about cleaning the blocks promptly with Stampin' mist if any ink got on them.

3. Tracey

Tracey New Member

Thank you very much! For the welcome and the info! Is 'Pingment embossing ink pad by Craft Smart' (in white) the same as Stazon?

4. Pepesmom

Home Page:
    I'm not familiar with that brand but I doubt it. Stazon ink is a solvent based ink - kinda like a sharpie. When the solvent evaporates, you are left with a permanent image. Pigment ink (Stampin' Up!'s Craft ink) is water-based but uses a pigment powder as the colorant - kinda like flour in water. It is permanent once dry.

ETA: The main reason to use Stazon is to color in after stamping, particularly water coloring, but for other media as well. I use pigment ink for embossing with colors, stamping on fabric, in my scrapbooks where I want a permanent color that stands alone - generally no painting after stamping.

5. Pepesmom

Home Page:
    I guess I'd use pigment ink for embossing and Stazon for painting. I think Stazon (opaque or not) would dry too fast to be an effective ink for heat embossing.

6. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

Welcome! I haven't used the white, but I love my black stazon and use it pretty much exclusively for black ink. I keep an old towel in my stamp area and I just shake and scrub on some stazon cleaner to the stamp, wait a minute, scrub it on my towel then use my stamp mist and scrub. I also clean the spongy part of the stazon cleaner bottle on the towel. For my clear stamps, I take the stamp off the block and clean it the same way just holding it.

7. genesis

genesis SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Tracey - glad you jumped in! Your question is a good one and as a result I learned some helpful information regarding Stazon! I love Black Stazon for watercoloring but never realized the cleaner can harm the clear blocks. Thanks Trina for the tips!!

8. Debbi

Debbi SU! Demonstrator

Welcome Tracy! If the magic card tutorial is the one I'm thinking about, then you need to use stazon on the acetate. Regular ink will just smear off.

Trina, you are a wealth of information and your explanations and analogies are spot on! Thank you. I think I will print out your comments to have handy when I need to explain the different types of inks.

9. Pepesmom

Home Page:
    Well, now you are making me blush. So, to finish the lecture on ink...

Dye ink (Stampin' Up! Classic ink) is also water-based with a powder used as the colorant but this colorant is a dye and will dissolve in water kinda like a sugar solution.

Pigment ink also has another fluid in it. Glycerine maybe? Not sure, but that is what makes pigment ink take so long to dry.

10. Tracey

Tracey New Member

Thanks everyone! I actually tried "making my own technique" instead of buying the Stazon but it didn't work. So I went out in search of a Stazon jet black. Michael's was naturally all sold out, in my city we don't have that many Scrapbooking stores so everyone uses Michael's and as a result they are usually out of most of the stock!

But I managed to find it at another store! I'm excited to try it this weekend! :eek:

11. Pepesmom

Home Page:
    Tracey - DO NOT THROW AWAY that little plastic insert! You need to keep it and store the pad with that little plastic insert in place. It keeps the solvent from evaporating.

And remember, this ink is PERMANENT! Make sure you have some scrap paper under your project. Clothes, carpeting etc. can be permanently stained if you are careless with the ink or ink pad. Think Sharpie ink.

And have fun! Stazon is really the best ink for certain applications. And it smells like almonds, too! :w00tbounce:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  12. Tracey

Tracey New Member

Thanks! Knowing me I would have chucked it right out!

13. scrapshappen

scrapshappen Super Moderator

Can you tell Trina is an engineer? We love her explanation of things around here because she speaks technical in language stampers understand. :)

And I for one LOVE stazon. I love the way it smells, not like a Sharpie at all but sweeter. Everyone tells me it's almonds, but I don't like the smell of Almond Extract so it doesn't smell like that to me. Like Deb said, I use stazon almost anytime black ink is called for. It is a "truer" black than SU's basic black.

The other caution I have for a new stazon pad is that they come super inky. You won't have to smash your stamp into the ink pad to get a good image. Just a light touch at first.

And welcome to SA! We love it when the newbies jump in and ask questions. :)

14. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

I love the smell too and so do some of my stampers. Stazon and the old timey Jergen's lotion.

15. Debbi

Debbi SU! Demonstrator

I have a newbie class this weekend. I put this together combining a document I got from SCS and Trina's awesome explanations. Thoughts/comments?

Attached Files:

16. scrapshappen

scrapshappen Super Moderator

Looks great to me Debbi.

17. Pepesmom

Home Page:
    snort! Thanks for the shout out, though.

18. Debbi

Debbi SU! Demonstrator

Got any nifty explanations for different paper and adhesives? ;)

ETA: How about an explanation of Versamark so I can add that to the inks?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  19. pbbennett

pbbennett SU! Demonstrator

Thanks for all of this good information! Luv the MSWord document. Adding the Versamark info would be great. I am inclined to make a chart out of this (minds work in different ways) because I'm not knowledgeable about inks, charac, and cleaning procedures. I currently have an index card my sister gave me that I have to check and KNOW where it is. It is not as complete as the info you guys have provided . . . How did you post a document to your reply in case I DO come up with said chart?

20. Debbi

Debbi SU! Demonstrator

Check out this thread for the final doc (which includes versamark, adhesives, and paper) and a chart I made. Might be what you're looking for.