To buy Craft pads or to not buy Craft pads?

Discussion in 'Ink-Cetera' started by skdeleeuw, Apr 9, 2010.

1. skdeleeuw

skdeleeuw SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    That is is the question!! I've been considering purchasing some of the full sized Craft pads. Now that I know which colors will be staying and going, it will make it easier. But do I need them? I have the Craft spots, and don't use them very often. But I would really like to stamp on tiles and fabric. Should I get the full-sized pads before they are no longer available?

2. rhondastamps

rhondastamps SU! Demonstrator

Tough decision. I have the craft spots and just a couple of full size pads. However, except for the Chocolate Chip and Basic Black I don't really use the full size ones very often. You can always buy the blank craft pad and make a full size one if you feel you really need it.

3. Melissa

Melissa SU! Demonstrator

I'm trying to decide this as well. I don't have the Craft spots though, but I do like the big size. I may just get a few of my favorites in the full-sized pads.

If you're just going to be using them for tiles and fabric, I think you'll be okay with the spots. But it's really up to you! Do you prefer to use spots, or would you prefer the larger size? I feel the spots work great also for inking chipboard.. I just use Dotto and adhere my chipboard piece to my grid paper, then use my spot to quickly and evenly cover it. In fact, I think I prefer that way for covering chipboard than a sponge dauber.

Sorry, not much help here! I can be very indecisive. :)

4. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    But isn't SU! gonna stock blank full size craft pads so you can ink them up as you go? That's what I would do.

OK, went to ready the Q&A - blanks will be in an upcoming mini. Don't know if they will be a write-in or not after that mini.

You can stock up on blanks and then ink them as you go I suppose.

Doesn't help much, does it? But at least you know there's an option.

5. mbstamper

mbstamper SU! Demonstrator

If you use craft pads, better get 'em now. If you don't use them already, chances are you will leave them in the wrapper and regret the purchase. If you want to do some fabric stamping, buy a few basic colors like black, red, blue, green, yellow that you can use for lots of fabric projects. Then you will have the same basics available if you want to do some embossing on cards or pages.
    Mary Beth
    p.s. I am a big craft pad lover/user but there have been too many posts lately that said "bought 'em, never used 'em, sold 'em."

6. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

I have the spots and love them, but had always planned to get some bigger pads. I only have white, vanilla, and black. My concern about inking up the blank ones, is that the ink is so thick. I have a hard enough time RE inking the large pads due to arthritis in my hands, so I can't imagine getting enough ink in one of those to fully ink it.

If you're considering the big pads just because it's quicker to ink large stamps for the tiles etc, it may not be worth the bit of time savings since you said you don't use the spots that often. Unless of course the reason you don't use them is because they're so small. lol Money wise, I'll need to concentrate on getting classic ink, and hope I can get the new spots in craft.

7. Melissa

Melissa SU! Demonstrator

I know there will be the blank ones, but I figured it would take quite a bit of the refill to juice it up enough? Also, I wonder what the price of the blank ones will be. Kind of like how the uninked wheel cartridges are the same price as the inked ones. It would be more cost-effective to get them now if that's the case.. but again, it depends on if you'll use them!

8. dmdezigns

dmdezigns SU! Demonstrator

I've been thinking about this as well - I just finished getting all the classics and was about to start on the craft - I think I'm just going to get a few of the full sized that are my favorites, that I already have ideas for - ie ballet blue - and mainly because I want to be able to get individual pads. I know I don't need whole families right now. Then, I think I'll just do the spots after the new catty comes out.

Everyone I've talked to as told me the spots work just fine for them even in class settings.

9. skdeleeuw

Home Page:
    I know I could get the blanks and ink them myself, but for some reason I think I want that little rectangle of color staring at me from my Color Caddy. :) Guess I'm just too lazy to label them.

I may just buy a few colors that I love. I already have Chocolate Chip, Black, White and Vanilla. I just recently bought some for a project my DD did. Funny thing, the ones I just bought are retiring! Just my luck!

So now my question is: If you were to choose 10 colors (that are NOT retiring!) of Craft ink pads, what colors would you choose?

10. rhondag

rhondag Stampin', Swappin' Bunny

Well, I would just get the spots, but I have:

Real Red, Tempting Turquoise and Old Olive, so there's three....

Then

Pretty in Pink, So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie (good for scratch and sniff with pumpkin pie spice technique), Bashful Blue, Perfect Plum, Regal Rose and Certainly Celery

11. skdeleeuw

Home Page:
    These are awesome suggestions. I love the idea about the Pumpkin Pie scratch and sniff!! Never thought of using pumpkin pie spice. How fun!

12. rhondastamps

rhondastamps SU! Demonstrator

I agree with Rhonda except I think I would use Elegant Eggplant more than Perfect Plum.

13. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
  14. cindycanada

cindycanada SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I have all of the Craft colors in Stampin' Spots and they've been perfect to use whenever I need Craft ink. I like that they don't take up much room and their small size actually makes it easier for me to use them on my projects, especially when I'm covering chipboard. I use Dotto to stick the chipboard to a piece of paper and then use the spot upside down to ink the chipboard. Then, I can just hold the sheet up and use the embossing gun to speed up the drying process. It works great and it is less messy with a spot than with the regular-size pads. The only full-size pads I have are White, Vanilla (which I never use) and Black. I am thinking maybe I'll buy Chocolate Chip, but that'll probably be it, because if I managed for four years without the ink pads, chances are, I don't really need them anyway.

And it seems there won't be an "upgrade kit" available for the Craft Spots, which means I'll have to buy the whole collections again, so I'll keep my money for those.

It would be nice to have the Craft Stampin' Spots available in the In Colors... One can only hope!

15. Roseolson

Roseolson SU! Demonstrator

I have craft ink almost exclusively because I **love** to emboss or add heat & stick so I can glitter.