MY Black Ink

Discussion in 'Ink-Cetera' started by pumpkinpie, Mar 8, 2010.

1. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

Why oh why is my black ink (suddenly) egg plant in color. NO I did not put purple on my pad by mistake. I want my black back please help:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  2. MaryR

MaryR New Member

so sorry - Mine hasn't done that - have you tried re-inking it well? maybe it's just getting tired? I have to admit, I don't use mine often, either, though. I usually use Jet Black StazOn or Basic Black Craft.

3. Beedubya

Beedubya Shiny Squirrel!!!

Home Page:
    It's not the first time I've heard of that, pumpkinpie. I can't remember what DS said when someone called. Maybe try calling and see what they say?

4. Melissa

Melissa SU! Demonstrator

That's weird. I've heard of it happening too, although mine is not like that (I've had it for ~3 years too).. sorry pumpkinpie! I agree with Brandi, you should give DS a call.

5. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    That's how both BB Classic pads at my upline's monthly stamp club are. Drives me nuts, so I'm going to start bringing my own pad. I'd be interested to see what DS says.

6. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    I've had that happen as well, and now mostly use the StazOn Jet Black instead of Basic Black.

7. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    Just an FYI -

Basic Black ink is a mixture of dyes that normally appears black. If you stamp with it and then try to watercolor around it, you will likely see the purple you have mentioned.

I'd try reinking the pad first and see if that helps. Shake the reinker well before reinking.

Stazon Jet Black and Basic Black Craft ink are a different formula and are more of a true black once stamped.

8. fingers inky girl

fingers inky girl Drug Dealing Stamper/Professor

Leave it to our resident engineer to be able to tell us why this happens. Sounds like reinking may fix it though...it's worth a try! If not, DS would be my next step too!

9. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

I will try re inking I use mine often, I need the dye based ink to do a project (stained glass mosaic) I have staz on but that will not do on this project. I want to know if there is a better black dye ink that you could recommend? My Demo out of town for a week or so.

10. Beedubya

Home Page:
    Sorry, pumpkinpie, I don't have any other inks than SU!

Anyone else?

11. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    Just curious, because I am not familiar with that technique, why StazOn won't work?

12. rhondag

rhondag Stampin', Swappin' Bunny

I just searched, found and read over this technique, and I didn't see any mention that the StazOn wouldn't work? Certainly the StazOn would be fine for the initial step of stamping your image before coloring.

I really think with enough layers of sponging your purple pad will be fine for the sponging part. You wouldn't want to use StazOn for the sponging/emboss resist over the mosaic embossed image because it would be difficult to remove from the Clear Embossing.

I have a Basic Black that looks purple and one that looks black...it is frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

Very true. The basic black is a much richer type of black than stazon, which is a truer black, more like a coal black. But those rich blacks include red in them which will sometimes give it a purplish color. I generally use stazon for this reason, but sometimes I like that really rich black color. Not sure how else to describe it, except sometimes it's called jet black. Sometimes with hair color, it'll be described like a blue black.

14. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie New Member

The Stained Glass mosaic you stamp image(staz on ) color bright colors work best. Take a stamp block you make using SU left over stamp rubber cut in small pieces apply to block then versa mark the image clear emboss heat of course, Then you take the black dye ink and rub over the entire surface. Then take a cloth and wipe off the ink the only ink you want remaining is the black between the mosaic pieces.... Beate Jones on Split Coast has this under the resource page. I tried staz on and it does not wipe off so good. My black su did not either it left purple behind. GRRRRR.

15. lovetostampandscrap

lovetostampandscrap SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I have a similar issue with my older BB pads, and the older reinkers have color shifted as well! Glad to see it's not just me!

16. Beedubya

Home Page:
    Maybe try a Tim Holtz ink? I've never tried them but maybe...?

17. genesis

genesis SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I feel your pain as this has happened to my Basic Black stamp pads (I have 2). I reink them which does help. I have tried others - Brilliance comes to mind - and I think they are the same, if not worse.

Would Basic Black Craft ink work for this?