Making stencils from punches using Window Sheets??

Discussion in 'Paper' started by MrsOcean, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MrsOcean

MrsOcean SU! Demonstrator

I was just in my craft room playing with my new snowflake punch. {and, yes, it is hard to punch the snowflakes with cardstock, but it does get a bit easier the more you punch with it. Not a lot, but a little. I tried wax paper & it didn't seem to help the situation at all. Just my 2 cents... }

Anyway... my brain surge came when I was thinking about making a stencil using a punch on a window sheet. Then you could take the stencil and using sponge daubers, make a design on a card. Do you think that would work?? It would be neat using the snowflake, I think and you'd get a reuseable stencil to boot! I don't have any acetate or window sheets right now, but as soon as I can get an order in, in a week or so, I'm going to try that with a 3 X 3 inch square of window sheet and the snowflake punch. So whaddya think??

Would love to hear if any of you have tried this. Do the window sheets cut ok using the punches??

Thanks for any input.
    Hugs, Paula

2. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I don't have any window sheets to try it with, but I do know I had some trouble punching acetate sheets (overhead projector type). The punches didn't like that at all!

Not exactly what you were asking, but maybe that helps a little. Let us know how it turns out!

3. debbie's designs

debbie's designs SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I've made stencils before by just using cardstock and it works well. I had the same idea as you with the clear sheets but have not ordered any yet.

4. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

I haven't gotten out to look yet, but I've been wondering about a lighter weight but still somewhat sturdy plastic that will handle the punches. I have a punch pal done from cardstock, and each one is in a baseball card sleeve, and I use that all the time. But I've been wanting one like the one they had at the memento mall at convention. Use it as a punch pal and also as stencils. If I can find the plastic to make my own then I can keep updating when new punches come out. And if I'm really lucky, I can find purple plastic!! lol

5. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

Jean/jlfstudio recently posted a thread with her experience creating a stencil with the Tulipe die here.

6. lilyinkpad

lilyinkpad SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I've made stencils using my big shot and window sheets. The sizzlets don't punch through the window sheets well at all. Neither do the punches, i just tried.

7. createdbyu

createdbyu SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    The punch may not go through our window sheets... even the medium weight is pretty stiff. You might want to try to use transparencies instead. I have used the sizzix dies to make my own stencils :) with success. The snowflake punch is kind of hard to punch out... but other punches can also be used on contact paper and affixed to glass when doing glass etching with armour etch cream.. I did this years ago with my girl scout troop too.

8. skdeleeuw

skdeleeuw SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Cool ideas! I never thought to use the Big Shot to make stencils with the window sheets. The Snowflake die would look great used as a stencil on a gift bag.

9. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

Thanks hun. I had seen that the other day, but she used window sheets. Those are too thick, and transparencies are too thin for what I want. I need something between those. Not flimsy, but thin enough to punch. I just need to get out and look, but since my son has the car up in Dallas all week and is only home on the weekends, there just hasn't been time.

10. Katherine

Katherine SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    If you are having trouble with your punches, try punching out a piece of tin foil a few times. I thought I had ruined a punch by trying to punch through two sheets of card stock, when I couldn't get it to punch at all. Before throwing it out I thought I would try this (it's a great way to sharpen scissors too!) and it worked. For whatever reason, it just seems to make them sharper! I don't own the snowflake punch, but I wonder if it would help it to work better?

11. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

coke cans are good for this also and have worked better for me than tin foil. Just be very careful as a cut up coke can will have many sharp edges. Also if a punch is sort of sticking, put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.