Ink pad - how long does it last between inkings?

Discussion in 'Ink-Cetera' started by Bridget, May 3, 2010.

1. Bridget

Bridget New Member

I am wondering how long does your SU stamping pads last before they need to be reinked? I have a few of the retiring colours and I am debating on whether or not to buy the reinkers.

2. Melissa

Melissa SU! Demonstrator

I would say it depends on how often you use them. I go for quite a while before re-inking, for most colors. Are the ones you have pretty juicy looking? If not, I'd get a refill. If you think you're going to use them fairly often, I'd get one just to be safe, too.

3. fingers inky girl

fingers inky girl Drug Dealing Stamper/Professor

I agree with what Melissa said, it depends on how much you use them. I have been a demo almost 3 years now, and the colors that I use most often are just now needing to be reinked. As far as use, I have 1 club and 1 stamp a stack a month usually...HTH you some!

4. s1itcher46

s1itcher46 Active Member

Home Page:
    I seem to reink pads every 2 years. The lighter the color the more it needs reinking. My Apricot, Banana, and Bashful Blue gets reinked the most. I just sat with my markers and put 1 or 2 drops in the brush tips, (then let them sit fine tip down in a glass for 30 mins or so) many of those were very dry.

5. MickeyRoberts

MickeyRoberts SU! Demonstrator

If you have the spots, they need to be re-inked more often. If you have the pigment (craft) ink pads, you need to re-ink them a little more often for the large ones than you would for the dye (classic) large ink pads. I find that I have to re-ink my pigment (craft) spots nearly every time I use them. I've made it a habit to buy the re-inker when I purchase the ink pad. Then I never have to worry. Especially if I want to do some creative coloring using the re-inkers.

6. skdeleeuw

skdeleeuw SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I agree with Kim, the lighter colors seem to need to be reinked sooner. I've reinked my Pretty In Pink pad numerous times. Of course I use that color quite often too. I bought my Brilliant Blue ink pad before I was a demo, probably in 2003. I just used it the other day and it was perfect. I've never reinked it. Although I probably haven't used it since 2005!

7. Bridget

Bridget New Member

Thanks ladies for the responses. I will order the reinker just to be safe as the colour is retiring (Handsome Hunter).

8. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

too late for advice, but glad you decided to get the reinker. Tossin in my 2 cents in case anyone else is wondering about the same thing. Bottom line is the pad will pretty much last forever, so at some point you'll need the reinker if you plan to keep using it for years to come. Plus there are tons of great techniques that use reinkers.

9. genesis

genesis SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    So glad you decided to get the reinker Bridget. As Deb said they are so useful for other things besides reinking stamp pads! I reink mine frequently cause I like them to be juicy.