How have you fared so far with this weather?

Discussion in 'West' started by CindyE, Jan 19, 2010.

1. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    We had a tornado warning this afternoon! I can handle earthquakes, but tornadoes are a whole 'nother story! The NWS said if one was coming, to get in the basement....uh, yeah, we don't have many of those in these here parts. Or get in an interior closet. Hmmm, I'd be tossing all my stuff out of the closet so I could squeeze in! :rolleyes:

The weather dude said the next one coming (tomorrow into Thursday) is expected to be much worse. :(

2. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    No tornadoes here, but the thunder was crazy! I'm lucky that it wasn't raining on my drive to work or my drive home. But I'm not looking forward to having all of the kids inside at school for the rest of the week. They were climbing the walls today!

3. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    Having grown up in tornado alley...

Any interior room with no windows is best. Bathrooms or closets - maybe a downstairs half bath. If you opt for a bathroom, be sure to protect yourself in case the mirror shatters - thick blanket, coat, sleeping bag. If you absolutely have to, get in the tub and cover up with, ideally, a matress. Thick blankets or thick sleeping bags - multiple layers if you can - will do if you have to use them. Anything to prevent being injured by dangerous flying debris.

At least tornados don't last HOURS like a hurricane or weeks like a forest fire.

4. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

Another tornado alley inhabitant here. . . . Trina's given you great advice.

FYI, one of the pros to choosing a bathroom is the pipes in the wall give it extra strength.

Also, while tornados are very powerful, they are also usually very targeted. So if the alarm sounds, take cover--but also take comfort that, in a way, you're a needle in a haystack (and, like Trina said, only for minutes).

Oh and don't eat fried chicken for dinner.

(When we were little and visited our grandparents in Kansas each summer, we observed that tornado warnings often came at dinnertime on nights we were having fried chicken.)

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, I've been through at least 50 tornado warnings (including ones tracked right over our house, and ones that came within 1/4 mile) and I'm still here to stamp about it.

Check your pm's--I'll send you a piece of my tornado teflon karma you can use for the rest of the week.

5. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    Um Holly... We don't have Tornado Sirens here in California... When I grew up in Minnesota, yes, absolutely. But not here in California.

Don't eat fried chicken -- check.

It's supposed to hail today, too. That should be fun. Not.

6. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

Y'all don't have civil defense sirens?

Ours get tested every first Weds. at noon for a full minute. I rush Mocha outside and then I try to get her to howl with them. . . . California doesn't sound very fun for dogs, if they don't have any siren tests to howl to. . . .

What about a NOAA weather/emergency radio? DH got me one of those for our first Valentine's Day.

Anyway, plan B:

If you hear a sound that makes you think 'Trains? We don't live near any tracks. . . . ', you have seconds to dive into the nearest sturdy nook.

7. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

You know, Yapha, if you guys are getting tornados and hail, you might want to consider moving to Texas--those we have, but no earthquakes.

Or state income tax.

8. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    No sirens here. Can't say that I miss them, really. You don't need a siren for an earthquake...

9. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

Hmmmmmm, maybe there's an IPod app for weather alerts from NOAA?

10. HollyLogic

HollyLogic Moderator

11. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    You know, we DID used to have civil defense sirens when I was a kid (Cold War era). I remember them testing them periodically. Wonder whatever happened to them. I don't think I've heard them since the Sixties.

Okay, no fried chicken...check
    Hear freight train, seek cover...check

Both of my bathrooms are on an exterior wall, I think I'd feel safer in the hall closet which is in the middle of the house. I'll just drag my DH's carp out of it and pile it in the hall, LOL.

12. huntwoman

huntwoman SU! Demonstrator

Cindy, I remember duck and cover drills in school. We are not having anything like that weather here in Michigan, we are having a very mild winter even. I'm telling you, it's wonderful here! Snow is awesome. I remember several water spouts in CA which is the equivalent of a tornado over water that can come onshore if I have my facts right. More weirdness there than usual it seems.

13. skdeleeuw

skdeleeuw SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    It's raining again here in Central Cal. But we need it soooooo bad, that I'm trying not to complain. Plus, hubby and the Jr. High church group are headed up to the mopuntains this weekend and it's always so much more fun if there is snow on the ground.

We've had some pretty strong winds, enough to knock down six power poles in our city, but no tornado warnings. Thanks goodness!

We do not have any interior rooms with no windows, and no sirens here either. Also, I live right behind highway 99, so it always sounds like a train is coming, which is possible too, since the tracks are only about a mile away.

If a tornado does come, I guess I'll head for my bedroom closet and hope all my Christmas decorations don't fall on my head. :)

14. Carmen

Carmen SU! Demonstrator

It's been snowing here since Monday and school has been canceled all week. I swear we have shoveled 4 ft of snow of our driveway in the last few days and it's still coming!!! BUT it's given me extra time to be in my craft room plus it's a good place o hide from my children!!!

15. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    We had some crazy weather tonight! Thunder, lightening, and hail!

16. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Same here! It seemed like just about every hour or so another squall line blew through, waking me up. I did enjoy the lightning flashes and thunder rumbles, though. We don't get that very often. :)

17. ratherbstampin

ratherbstampin SU! Demonstrator

but the chiggars and the humidity - - - I'm an east Texas gal and now I live in Utah. Don't miss the bugs or the weather, but I do miss those gorgeous bluebonnets in the springtime!!