Help a girl out? Inking a BS Folder....

Discussion in 'Die Cutting' started by GuarinoMom, Jul 30, 2010.

1. GuarinoMom

GuarinoMom SU! Demonstrator

Before I waste a ton of CS trying to figure it out, I thought I would ask here. When you ink the inside of a BS folder and then emboss....which side do you ink. I have a great idea I want to try but don't want to mess it up.
    Yes, I am totally a type A personality and making mistakes messes with my MoJo!

Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

2. gramma.spud

gramma.spud SU! Demonstrator

If you want the embossed image to be white, brayer the back side. It looks so awesome!

3. GuarinoMom

Actually, I think I want the embossed side (the side with the raised image) be be inked...so then it would be the front side?

4. CindyE

CindyE SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Jen, if you ink the flat front side (with the indentations), the raised part of the embossed piece will be un-inked, with the ink showing between the raised parts. I don't see how it would be possible to ink the raised image unless you embossed first, then lightly sponged the raised image.

If you ink the back side of the folder, the ink will be pressed into the debossed image.

Clear as mud? ;)

5. kamperstampr

kamperstampr New Member

my suggestion wouild be to take a piece of scrap paper, tear it in two, then ink one side of the folder and place a scrap in the folder the send it though the BS. Then clean the folder, and do it inking the opposite side, insert scrap and run through again. Now compare them side by side. That is what I do and it works for me every time.

6. GuarinoMom

Thanks gals! I think I get it now...guess I do just have to try it and see how it works.

7. Beedubya

Beedubya Shiny Squirrel!!!

Home Page:
    Pics when you're done! LOL!

8. GuarinoMom

Will do! The first try I must have had way too much ink because it didn't turn out at all.

9. cookiebeagle

cookiebeagle SU! Demonstrator

I just saw where someone did this with the wallpaper folder. The card stock was white and after embossing, she lightly brayered the ink onto the raised up parts. I think it was Patty Bennett. And yes, at one of Ronda Wade's classes, we inked the flat front side and the raised parts stayed uninked. This was very pretty, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
  10. lovetostampandscrap

lovetostampandscrap SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I just saw that on a blog post I read yesterday - emboss with the embossing folder, ink up your brayer, and add ink to the embossed parts with the brayer.

11. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I saw a video recently on inking the raised parts, and they said the trick to getting just the raised parts inked, was to use a very very light touch with the brayer, but just go over it as many times as needed to get the amount of color you need. Mash too hard and you'll have ink where you don't want it.

12. Carmen

Carmen SU! Demonstrator

I did this for a class the other day and I just rub my ink pad right onto the folder, it worked perfectly. Here's a photo straight out of the camera. Sorry that's it is sideways. I'll be posting it to my blog later in the month. The one of the left is where I inked the folder. The right is where I rubbed color on after it was embossed.

13. genesis

genesis SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Carmen, thanks for the visuals! Both cards are lovely!