Gallery Layout Preview

Discussion in 'Gallery Discussions' started by James, Jan 27, 2010.

1. James

James Head Smarty Pants Staff Member

Home Page:
    Since everyone seems to like my tabs, here's a quick preview of what I've managed to make the gallery do.

It uses the same style navigation as the forum but also incorporates a whole new method of laying out the main galleries, plus reduces a level in the hierarchy. I'm not even remotely done with it but thought I tease you with a peak. Here's the main gallery page and a category page.

Couple of things I'm thinking about.
    - Recombining the stamp sets so there is only 1 category for each. In the category listing for a set, I'm thinking I'll add sort features that show (ALL | Current | Retired) with each retired set showing a "retired" graphic like SC does. This will help will the confusion in the upload list.

- Something else I've done is forced empty galleries to not display in the category lists. Ex. When you look at A-B Stamp Sets right now if a set has no photos it show the set with 0 posts. To me this has always been tacky so I'm making them not display until a category has 1 photo in it. ALL CATEGORIES show in the upload list, assuming we've added it.

- Turning on personal galleries (numerous requests for this one).

- All the base categories (ie: A-B Stamp Sets) will convert to albums vs. categories. This will allow photos to be uploaded to these areas. The idea being if a card needs to be uploaded that we don't have a category created yet, it can still be uploaded and then moved when the category is created.

Those are some of the biggies. Figured I'd get some feedback on them now. It'll probably be next week sometime before this is ready to go.

2. MaryR

MaryR New Member

I like the tabs! I think have the continuity of the same navigation system forums to gallery is great, too!

I love the way you have the empty galleries not showing until they have photos - very clean and great idea. I like the re-combing current/retired for uploading to reduce confusion with a sort feature (however that looks) for all/current/retired.

James - you really do rock!

3. amysings

amysings crazy llama llady

Home Page:
    My mind is in the gutter.

But I like the new look!

4. skdeleeuw

skdeleeuw SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    And.....? :)

I'm lovin' the new tabs! Thanks James for always trying to improve SA.

5. dmdezigns

dmdezigns SU! Demonstrator

Love it all! It looks great and I think the changes on the gallery will help with uploading!

6. grannyglenda

grannyglenda New Member

I have "tried" to save cards as My Favorite but when I go to My Favs nothing's there??? I am logged in so I don't know how to save cards as my favorites??? Can you help?

7. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

Granny, make sure that when you save it as a favorite, that the icon turns to red from green. Sometimes I have to click on favorites a few times to get it to actually save. Once it turns red, then it should be in your favorites. Hope that helps.